Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Saturday, August 23, 2008

The American Way

Arthur Silber has a new post up.

Sometimes I feel a surge of hope for our country and for American democracy. I think about the smart, good people I know and how much they want our country to live up to its ideals. Then I read Silber and I remember to stop looking for the pony among the stable muck.

It's the rich versus the poor, something voters can't face because it crushes the hope we have that our nation will magically do the right thing without us doing anything to stop it. The people who spend as much time monitoring and pressuring their own candidate as they do trying to defeat the "enemy" are the real Americans, protecting those who are utterly vulnerable to the crushing machine created by money, power and authoritarianism.

No comments: