Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Monday, February 1, 2010

Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes

01 Feb 2010 09:23 am
Public Service Announcement
My favorite food processor is available at Amazon with a $30 mail-in rebate.
Permalink :: Comments (16) :: TrackBacks (0) ::
Share This


How much is McArdle's cut on a $300.00 item?

The wedding expenses must be adding up.

UPDATE: Question answered.

Anon Y. Mous February 1, 2010 12:05 PM
LOL. Is it also a public service when you collect your commission from Amazon?

Reply

Megan McArdle (Replying to: Anon Y. Mous) February 1, 2010 12:11 PM
The commission that I can expect to earn from Amazon on putting up a link will probably not add up to enough to buy a Venti cappuccino at Starbucks. If I don't genuinely think something is worth owning, I don't link it.


It's okay to shill from The Atlantic because she believes in the product. But something tickles at my memeory....

November 17, 2005
From the desk of Jane Galt:

Absolutely shameless begging: kitchen edition
As you know, now is the time of year when I engage in an absolutely shameless attempt to encourage you to earn me money from my Amazon.com associates account, under the thin pretense of suggesting things you can buy your loved ones for Christmas. I am poor, and my student loan officer is hungry, and the people at the workhouse will only give me one serving of gruel a day. . . this brazen commercialization of The Birth of Our Lord is the only way that I can afford to buy myself the books with which I enrich my mind so that I can offer you keen insight and witty commentary on a quasi-daily basis.

If you're going to do your Christmas shopping on Amazon this year, just click the handy links provided by me or another of your favourite bloggers (mine's over there at the right, if you scroll down a little!), and at absolutely not cost to yourself, you can send a little commission our way. We get the commission even if you buy something other than the product we linked, though the commission is higher for direct links.

However, even if you don't order through Amazon, all the stuff I'll suggest here is stuff that I genuinely love, so do consider purchasing for yourself or your loved ones offline. And if you do buy something I recommend, please, please, please email me to let me know how it went over.

And if you don't like anything you see here, please feel free to peruse last year's selections, though there is some overlap.


And then there was:

December 09, 2005
From the desk of Jane Galt:

What I'm buying myself this Christmas
Well, I just got my hands on A Feast of Crows, by George R. R. Martin. If you haven't read the previous books in this series--A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords--well, I envy you my friend, because you have a rare treat in front of you. I don't read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, but I'm as fond as the next person of well-written page-turners, which this one is. It's a low-magic version of The War of the Roses, with the Yorks as protagonists. I bought the first one to read on the plane to London, and raced through the next ones as soon as I got home. I've been waiting eagerly for this one ever since, and now I'm holding off on reading it for just a little while so I can savor the anticipation.

Also, I'm finally trying to get my kitchen organized. I invested in a butter boat, which uses water to keep butter cool enough that it doesn't go rancid, but warm enough that you can spread it. I have no idea if this will work, but if it does, I will be extremely excited. I hate hard butter on my toast. I also bought three of these spice racks, which stack into one tower that takes up a lot less space in my tiny apartment. I just assembled it last night and filled it with spices, and it looks surprisingly lovely with all the different colored spices in it. I'm very excited to finally cook with the thing. And I got a tupperware carousel, which is far too small for a family, but is just perfect for a single person. It has cleaned up the perilous tower 'o tupperware that used to lurk in my cupboards.

I finally got Kanye West's College Dropout, Damien Rice's O, and Freedy Johnston's This Perfect World.

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these, but am worried that it won't do nearly as good a job as a conventional microwave. Reader comments are solicited.

Oh, and I'm investing in the first volume of George Orwell's four-volume collected essays, journalism and letters. If it's good, I'll buy the next three.

If you want to know what sort of things I think are cool, but do not yet own, my wishlist is here . Think of it as a big recommendation list for Christmas presents if you happen to know someone who shares my obsession with financial markets and kitchen gear.

Thanks, all of you who bought through my Amazon account. Y'all are making all this possible. Merry Christmas, everyone.

8 comments:

spencer said...

She waited ten years to buy "This Perfect World?"

Kathy said...

Guess Meg never heard of that Publicly, and often privately, Funded Institution called "Teh Library"

I checked Amazon & Wikipedia, and the "Feast of Crows" sounds like a good adolescent fantasy read. I don't much care for fantasy and magic stuff, unless its funny. The "Good vs. Evil" themes get a little boring.

Substance McGravitas said...

Oh damn, you've seen that.

CaptBackslap said...

I'll give her this: "This Perfect World" was a hell of an album.

Downpuppy said...

Sub: We knew of the radio atrocity, but actually seeing
"Well, I think there are a lot of issues implicated here." adds something.

Officer! Arrest that issue!

jp said...

I'm just going to contemplate "I hate hard butter on my toast" for awhile.

Hard times, I tells ya.

Kathy said...

An English style butter dish is pretty much an American style butter dish turned up-side-down. The effect of turning butter up-side-down on the butter's softness is negligible.

Most of the radiator-heated homes I visited in England (all 4 of them) were chilly and a bit damp by US standards, including the kitchen. So, Butter left out of the Fridge might be soft but not melt, but the tub wasn't the reason. Room temperature.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I don't normally leave comments, but I just wanted to say thanks for the great information. I have a blog too, though
I don't write as good as you do, but if you want to check it out here it is. Thanks again and have a great day!

Fire Mage PvP