Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Cultivation Of Ideas



McArdle and friends in a brainstorming session.


Megan McArdle yesterday:

My theory is: You don’t put ideas in peoples’ heads; they just grow there.

Megan McArdle, after Kevin Drum wrote (and later deleted) an erroneous post saying "Millennials Are the First Generation In Which Men Outnumber Women":



She believes every dumb damn thing she ever heard, as long as it's from her tribe. Then she tells everyone that ideas come from nowhere. I suppose the words"sex selective abortion" just grew in her head like chia seeds.

5 comments:

Ken Houghton said...

Because the problem is always that people abort boys in favor of girls.

Ask the Chinese. Or the French, whose "rights of primogeniture" certainly was female-favoring. Or English Common Law. Or Jane Austen.

I know graduates of the U. of Chicago's Business School are myopic, but we were always told to expect better of Penn English Literature majors.

Susan of Texas said...

Heh, I don't think she thought about the matter long enough to figure that out.

Everyone says she's not stupid, she's wicked, but she certainly does a good impression of being dim.

fish said...

I hate to defend Megan on this (I really do), but Kevin said more men than women, which would fit with sex-selective abortion problems seen in China, where it is true that there are more men than women in the most recent generation. The other stuff is just WTF?

Susan of Texas said...

I think Drum said the problem was that there are always more men than women at birth but it changes as they get older. So yes, more men than women but it doesn't mean anything has changed (so American women are not aborting girls over boys).

fish said...

Ah I see. If I had spent a couple minutes with teh google, I could have seen US birthrates run +0.5% for males.