Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Thought We Are Adults

Shorter David Brooks: Authoritarianism is good.

Money quote: "Institutions do all the things that are supposed to be bad. They impede personal exploration. They enforce conformity. But they often save us from our weaknesses and give meaning to life."

That's strange. I find my own meaning for my own life, and assume responsibility for correcting my own weaknesses. I don't need another adult or "institution" of adults to do it for me. But I don't think Megan McArdle is a brilliant econoblogger either, as Brooks does, so what do I know?

1 comment:

Susan of Texas said...

I can understand people like William F. Buckley being elitist, but Brooks? Heaven save us from mediocre middle-class minds like Brooks and McArdle who imagine they are just a little bit better than everyone else