Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Briefly

Megan McArdle discusses whether or not a married woman should change her name. We do not care.

McArdle forgets the existence of Japan and the temporary nature of stimulus. She says, 'I'm not sure what we just went through validates any reasonable philosophy of government, except "give officials room to make ad-hoc decisions, and hope they don't do too badly."' In other words, the Democrats were not implementing a plan based on policy, they just got lucky. She had the same excuse with Iraq; she was wrong but was really right because she just had a cognitive bias, while the left was right but was really wrong because they were just knee-jerk anti-war and happened to get lucky and be against a bad war. Since McArdle's judgement is so flawed and I believe that any attempts at repair are too late, I don't care about this post either.

There are a dozen more crap posts after that which we'll just skip altogether. Finally there is another post by Ellen Ruppel Shell, who at last begins to understand the depth of the depravity inside the typical upper-middle class conservative American. You could see the inevitable disillusionment coming a mile ahead, but it's still a shame.

8 comments:

Rdan said...

Hi susan.

This is Rdan at Angry Bear. I do enjoy your posts. As you may know cactus and she occasionally exchange barbs directly.

Would you trade links? I can put you in commentary, which is being updated.

Thanks,

Dan

Downpuppy said...

Yesterday she said she was trying to be "intellectually honest".

I threw up in my mouth & haven't finished a post of hers since. It was fun for a while, but I totally see why you're worn out.

Susan of Texas said...

Rdan, thanks. I'd be very pleased to trade links.

Susan of Texas said...

Downpuppy, you can see her kind of try to be fair at times, but it just comes across as hypocrisy. With her, it's a very fine line.

Downpuppy said...

It doesn't matter what she's trying to do. That she's pretending to be an economic analyst, when she couldn't reconcile a checking account, is hypocrisy more than enough. Which side she's on, and what she's trying to do, is utterly irrelevant given the worthlessness of the material.

What I discovered clicking around the last week is how many places still take her seriously, either because of the Atlantic brand or because they agree with her & don't get the details. Which is a warning flag, of course, saying :We're talking about something we don't understand.

I may go Madame Defarge now, and start a classification project based on who's her enemy, who cites her uncritically, and who has looked in & seen the void.

Even have a dead blog to do it on.

clever pseudonym said...

People took her seriously as an independent blogger before she was at the Atlantic or the Economist. I used to think that part of that was the interest in reading first-hand stories from Ground Zero. Now, I think it's a lot of bloggers brown nosing for links from major sites. She's vain enough to fall for the ego massage.

The thing is, Megan superficially appears to know what she's talking about. For someone like me who doesn't know anything about economics, it's easy to see how she might come off as an expert to some. It was other people who do know pointing out her errors that made me realize she was full of it. That, and when she posts about subjects I actually know something about, like movies, cooking, sports, etc. Then I can see how much she really does just pull out of thin air.

And I've issued myself a challenge - one of these days, I'm actually going to make that mac and cheese recipe that she posted per her instructions (though I do need to figure out a way to reconcile the "1-2 cups of cream" she suggested) just to see how "award-winning" it really is.

BillCinSD said...

To comment a little on the Shell piece, it's a shame hat the Kader Toy Factory Fire in Thailand didn't have the same impact as the Triangle Fire. But I guess it's OK if no American profits were hurt

Dr Zen said...

WTF. Ugh. The commenters! How does a person get that smug? Chinese factory workers *choose* to be Americans' slaves?

You know, these people should actually be presented with the choice of having to do something deeply unpleasant or starving, so that they understand how the world actually is.

I think this sums up the US for me: "I can't wrap my head around someone arguing that the fact that we spend less on things like food, shelter, transportation, and entertainment is a BAD thing."

A Westinghouse fridge used to be costly. Too costly for my gran. But she coveted one. Because American goods had a reputation for excellence. Finally, she got one on HP. It lasted her for my mother's childhood and many years afterwards.

That's all it is.