Atlas Shrugged: The Mocking

Friday, February 27, 2009

Overheard On the Internet

Honey, I know exactly what we'll tell the folks and the neighbors. It's not that we're poorer, we're just, uh, making a lifestyle change!

From the Corner:

Re: I Don't Want To Pay For It (Either) [Steve Hayward]
[yap yap]

[M]y bigger idea is to go all Randian and literally go on
strike (and I've never really been much of a Rand fan, by the way—Whittaker
Chambers had her down right). I'm going to start converting income opportunities
into more leisure by deliberately reducing my income. Already between federal
and state income taxes, self-employment taxes, the AMT, and phased-out dependent
deductions as income rises, I'm at a marginal rate of about 50% on my last
dollars earned from writing or anything else. So it will pay to keep below
Obama's high income threshold. I suspect a lot of self-employed people will make
similar calculations and adjustments, and the revenue yield will be far below
what Obama's people project. Welcome to Europe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Europe.

If only.

Susan of Texas said...

Yeah, God forbid we have public transportation and national health.